Excelsior Scholarship: Eligibility, How To Apply And Get The Scholarship
Are you looking for a scholarship to cover your school tuition? If you are then you might want to know about the Excelsior Scholarship. The scholarship awards tuition to qualified students attending New York State public colleges and universities (SUNY and CUNY). This Excelsior scholarship along with other student finance programs helps students to attend a SUNY university for free.
The Excelsior Scholarship is for tuition only and does not cover other college expenses. For information on other college expenses such as tuition, room and board, textbooks and more, simply visit our Tuition and Fees portal.
Note: No additional action is required for students who have benefited in the previous academic year for this current academic year.
Here is How to Be Eligible for The Scholarship:
- You must be a resident of New York State and have resided there in New York State for at least 12 months prior to the commencement of the term;
- Be a United State citizen or qualified non United State citizen
- Applicant must have completed high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma, or passed a federally accepted “Ability to Benefit” test, as defined by the Commissioner of the State Department of Education
- Applicant must have a joint federally adjusted gross income of $125,000 or less;
- He or she must be pursuing a bachelor’s degree from a SUNY university or CUNY (including charter universities at Cornell University and Alfred University);
- You also need to be registered in at least 12 credits per semester applicable to your degree and earn at least 30 credits per year applicable to your degree;
- if You have gone to college prior to the academic year for which a scholarship is sought-after, have earned (continuously enrolled) a minimum of 30 credits each year applicable to your degree prior to applying for an Excelsior scholarship.
- Applicant must have a defaulter status on student loan granted under a New York State or educational program or in the payment of a New York State scholarship;
- Make sure you comply with the terms of the award conditions imposed by the State of New York you have previously received; and
- enter into an agreement agreeing that he will reside in New York State during the time the award is received and, if employed during that time, will be employed in New York State.
For more information on eligibility requirements and how you can apply for the Excelsior Scholarship, simply visit: www.hesc.ny.gov/excelsior.